Sonth – Dry Ginger – Zingiber Officinale
From the ancient times, Sonth/Zingiber officinale has been used in Ayurveda as a digestive aid. It’s fresh and the pungent flavor makes it a key ingredient in Asian cuisines.
Chinese medicines use the root of the herb since thousands of years and it is extremely beneficial in diminishing nausea and upset stomachs.
Benefits on Sonth:
- Spice: Sonth has been used as a spice for flavor enhancement in cooking, since ages. It is even used as an ingredient in cosmetics, perfumery, and medicines. In India, it is also used as one of the main ingredients in cooking.
- Anti-inflammatory: It also helps reduce inflammation and hence, it is used to treat inflammatory disorders such as arthritis.
- Antidiarrheal: Sunthi is reported to control infectious diarrhea by slowing down bacterial metabolism which suppresses toxin production.
- Indigestion: The herb has a positive effect on digestive ailments. It aids in the digestion of fatty foods and breaks down proteins. It also helps in reducing abdominal gaseous distension.
- Nausea and vomiting: Sunthi is beneficial in relieving nausea, morning sickness, and motion sickness. Studies done on the use of Sunthi in post-surgical nausea and chemotherapy-induced nausea have been encouraging.