Common Names: Reetha, God’s natural soap, Chinese Soapberry, North Indian soapnut, Washing nuts, Ritha, Rishtak, Phenil.
How to wash hair with Reetha / Aritha nuts / Soap nuts
- Soak 4 – 5 Reetha nuts (for shoulder length hair) in boiling water overnight.
- You will find that its skin is loose and peeling now. Mash it with hands and you will see a lot of bubbles.
- Take more water if necessary and keep rinsing the areetha till you reach the hard seed. Dispose of the seeds and the skin after removing all the pulp. You may filter this liquid to remove all gritty particles to avoid scratching your scalp with them.
- The water you now have will look like this with foam on top.
- Apply this liquid to the scalp little by little and gently rub. It might not foam like shampoo but is an excellent cleanser. There is no need to rub the scalp too hard. Then wash the rest of the hair.
Uses of Reetha:
- Germicidal and Insecticidal
- Prevents Dandruff
- Drives away scalp parasites like lice (joon)
- Surfactant and Cleansing Agent
- Softens your hair.