Why Chia Seeds is considered a Superfood?
Chia seeds are being used since Aztec and Mayan cultures. Warriors include these seeds in their diet as it helped them boost their energy and strength. This is one of the oldest sources of nutrition.
The antioxidants, minerals, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids in chia seeds promote heart health, support strong bones, and improve blood sugar management.
Chia seeds are black and white seeds derived from the plant Salvia hispanica. These seeds are said to be originated from Central America.
These seeds are highly nutritious. Let’s take a look at the nutritional value 2 tbsp of these seeds provide.
- Calories: 138 Kcal
- Carbohydrates: 11.9 grams
- Fiber: 8.7 grams
- Protein: 4.7 grams
- Fat: 8.7 grams
- Alpha-Lenolenic Acid(ALA): 5 grams
It also contains a good amount of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc.
Benefits of Chia Seeds:
- High In Fiber – It contains a high amount of fiber that helps in providing many health benefits such as preventing constipation and keeping your digestive tract healthy.
- High in Omega 3 Fatty acid – The seeds contain poly-unsaturated acid including a good amount of omega 3 acids that help in reducing the risk of heart attacks and other risk factors related to it.
- May Help in Weight Loss – Good amount of fiber and protein will make you feel fuller for a long time which helps in consuming less amount of calories. Most of the fiber chia seeds contain is soluble fiber. This soluble fiber absorbs water, becomes gel-like, and it expands in your stomach slows down the digestion process, and helps you feel fuller for a longer time.
- May Help in Reducing Bad Cholesterol – Consuming these seeds can also help in increasing HDL (High-Density Lipoprotein) and lowering LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein).
- May Reduce Blood Sugar Levels – Studies have shown that consuming fiber helps in reducing insulin resistance and improves blood sugar levels. Our body is unable to absorb and break down fiber because of that the sugar levels will not spike up.
- Improves Bone Health – It contains a good amount of calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus which are some essential nutrients that will help in improving bone health.
- High in Antioxidants – Chia seeds contain a good amount of antioxidants such as chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, myricetin, quercetin, and kaempferol. These antioxidants provide health benefits by neutralizing reactive molecules also known as free radicals. Free radicals can cause oxidative stress and cell damage resulting in aging and diseases like cancer.
- Reduce Inflammation – Chia seeds are anti-inflammatory. It contains alpha-linolenic acid which is a type of omega 3 acid that helps in reducing chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation can lead to health conditions like heart problems and cancer.
Where to buy the best quality chia seeds?
Attar Ayurveda provides the best quality, 100% Natural, NON-GMO Chia Seeds
Chia Seeds Recipes:
Chia Seed Detox Water:
- Take a glass bottle or jar.
- Add 1 tbsp of raw or soaked chia seeds to the bottle
- Then, add 1½ tbsp of apple cider vinegar and ¼ tbsp of cinnamon to it.
- After that, add 1½ liters of water.
- Stir properly so that chia seeds won’t stick together.
- You can drink this water the whole day and refill it if needed.
Chia Seeds Smoothie:
- Take ¾ cup of milk in a blender and add a banana.
- Then add 1 tbsp of cocoa powder
- After that, add 1 tbsp of soaked or raw chia seeds.
- Add 2 tbsp of oats (optional) and 1 scoop of natural protein powder.
- Pour some normal water or coconut water from the top.
- Blend it until you get a smooth consistency.
- Now our healthy and tasty smoothie is ready to drink.
Chia Seeds Vegetable Salad:
- Take a pan and add water to it.
- Then, add some seasonal vegetables ¾ cup beans, 1 carrot, and ½ cup corn.
- Add salt and black pepper for taste.
- Add 1 tbsp of chia seeds to it
- After that, add ½ cup of capsicum, 1 tomato, ½ cup tofu or paneer.
- Add some salad seasoning, black pepper, dried mint, and oregano
- Cover it with a lid and cook it for a few minutes on low heat.
- Your salad is ready and you can have it for lunch or dinner.
Chia Seeds Chilla:
- Take 4 tbsp of besan in a bowl
- Add ½ grated carrots and some chopped beans to it.
- Then, add ½ – 1 tbsp grounded chia seeds and add salt and pepper for taste.
- Add water and make a semi-thin batter.
- Spread the batter on the tava in a circular motion.
- Cook from both sides on medium to low heat until its color turns to a golden brown.
- You can eat it as a morning breakfast.
Chia seeds pudding:
- Take 1 tbsp of chia seeds in a bowl.
- Add milk and ¼ tbsp of Ceylon cinnamon.
- Then, add 3-4 tbsp of oats to it and add some more milk.
- Mix it well and transfer the mixture to a glass jar in layers.
- Add dry fruits, nuts, and seeds like flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds accordingly.
- Mix it well and keep it in the fridge overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- The next morning you can see how thick it is and has a creamy texture.
- You can consume it as breakfast or can carry it as a snack.
Chocolate Banana Chia Pudding:
- Take half a banana slice and mash it properly in a bowl.
- Add 3 tbsp of chia seeds and 1tbsp of cocoa powder.
- Then add 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- Add ¾ cup of milk and whisk it properly until it is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a cup or a jar.
- Then refrigerate it overnight.
- You can add slices of banana on top and some shredded dark chocolate.
Strawberry Chia Pudding:
- Take 3-4 strawberries and mash them in a bowl
- Add 3 tbsp of seeds to it and 1 tbsp of maple syrup.
- Add ¾ cup of milk and whisk it well until it is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a cup or a jar.
- Refrigerate it overnight.
- You can add slices of strawberries on top and some walnuts.
- Digestive Issues – It has high fiber content and eating chia seeds in excessive amounts can lead to constipation, gas, diarrhea, and bloating. Limited consumption is necessary.
- Allergies – There are only some rare occasions where people have allergies upon consumption of these seeds. Symptoms of these allergies may include vomiting, diarrhea, or itching on the tongue and lips.
- On Medication – Chia helps in reducing sugar levels and blood pressure levels. If you are on medications for hypertension or diabetes then make sure to consume them in a limited amount.