Lemons are a crucial part of all diets under the sun. It is a delicate mixture of lemon juice mixed with still or sparkling water. You have probably heard people saying that drinking it in early morning an empty stomach can work wonders. Well, this is true. Perfect for an early morning drink, you can also have it with every meal since it aids in digestion.
Rich in anti-oxidants, vitamin C, potassium, minerals, phytonutrients and flavonoids, lemon acts as a filter of toxins from the body. Among all nutrients, vitamin C is necessary for fighting off blocked pathways in our body. Two lemons a day is all you need to keep energy levels up and running.
Most important reasons to drink lemon water
1) Firstly, it prevents kidney stones. High amounts of crystal-forming substances like calcium, oxalate and uric acid in the body can cause stones to develop over-time. On the contrary, stones can also occur if the urine lacks substances that prevent crystals from sticking together. Healthy foods like kale, spinach, broccoli, lentils, beans, nuts and meats, caffeine are all high in oxalates and uric acid. This combined with calcium can develop stones.
The biggest purpose of lemon water is to counteract these stones as they occur. The citric acid that is present in lemons dissolves the stones or prevent them from growing. Your body makes citrates on its own, however, if it is deficient in it, you must consume lemon water. You can continue to eat healthy vegetables and meats once you include lemon water in your diet.
2) Secondly, it prevents micro hemorrhage of the arteries. A deficiency in vitamin C can cause little bleeding lesions in the blood vessels. After that your body panics and in a rich to heal itself it sends cholesterol and calcium to fix it. They act as a band-aid to the blood vessels. This results in clogged arteries. Therefore the cholesterol and fat come later, but it the micro hemorrhage of the arteries that happens first. A simple aneurysm in that artery can easily blow up as a stroke and prove fatal.
Vitamin C repairs the walls of the capillary arteries, thereby decreasing the risk of clogged arteries and an impending stroke.
3) Thirdly, it treats oral problems. If your gums bleed after brushing your teeth it means you are deficient in vitamin C. Since lemon water is a citric food, it can help in curing the tissues around your gums. The citric acid also helps in removing yellowness from the teeth.
4) Fourthly, it prevents loss of collagen. Your adrenal gland hold a lot of vitamin C so that it can make more collagen for the skin. A deficiency in the nutrient can result in loose skin, spider veins or varicose veins. People who have burnt out of adrenals are lacking in vitamin C and protein.
Other benefits of drinking lemon water
1) Since lemons are citric in nature it effectively removes toxins from the body. This helps in preventing acne and boils.
2) It is used in treating cold and cases of flu due to its anti-bacterial properties.
3) Can be taken with every meal as the citric in lemons aid in digestion.
4) Flushes out harmful toxins from the liver and prevents damage.
5) Its anti-inflammatory properties neutralize acidity and treat urinary and respiratory infections. It also controls inflammation of tonsils and heals a sore throat.
6) Lemon mixed with water can effectively help in detoxifying the body. After hard partying or a big family meal, spent the next day drinking lemon water to help flush out unwanted byproducts from the body. Just fill a bottle with lemon slices and water and feel rejuvenated.
7) Lemon dissolves uric acid build up in joints, gall bladders and kidneys. It helps to prevent arthritis. Most of the blockages in the body are due to a lack of vitamin C.
8) It suppresses cravings and aids in weight loss. Having lemons as a part of your diet will make your body efficient in burning calories and improve your digestive system. This reduces bloating and stomach aches.
Ways to add lemons to your diet
Lemons are a popular choice is Indian cuisine. It has a refreshing effect on the senses and is popularly used in flavouring dishes. It can be as salad dressings along with apple cider vinegar and olive oil. A generous amount of fresh lemon juice in your Greek or Caesar salad with giving it a zing unlike any other. It will even compliment the taste of other vegetables and fruits by bringing out their flavour and adding to its nutritional value.
Use a generous amount in your marinades for a tangy effect. It will effectively enhance all the subtle flavours without dominating them.
Squeeze out a few drops on your kebabs, curries and baked meats for a tantalizing effect. Furthermore, it is an excellent ingredient when used for sautéing and grilling and works as a delicious add-on.
Refreshing lemon water infusions to try out
The next best liquid to add to your diet is apple cider vinegar. This miraculous ingredient combined with lemon water is a popular detox drink. Other than its cleansing and rejuvenating effects, it boosts your digestive system. If you are a regular victim of acidity, gas and bloating, this elixir is your best bet! It not only aids digestion but flushes toxins from the colon, thereby improving regular bowel movement. To start, combine a few drops of lemon juice and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. It’s that easy! So make yourself a mixture and have a drink ready in your hand in no time.
A combination of lemon and ginger juice is a useful tool to fight illnesses. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties combined can rejuvenate cells and boost immunity. Make it your morning detox drink and feel rejuvenated.
When days are too hot or stressful to bear, just add some cucumber juice to your lemon water. Cucumber has cooling properties which relax the nerves and gives a sense of lightness.
Adding a few mint or peppermint leaves to your lemon water infusions can pretty it up and add to its nutritional value.