Herbs and spices are a healing miracle of nature. Before modern medicine took over, we could find these ingredients in every household. They helped in preventing various physical and emotional problems. Sage, cardamom, turmeric, cinnamon, basil, cayenne pepper, ginger root, are a few of the many spices found all over the world.
Origins of Cardamom
Also known as elaichi in India, cardamom is right to be named as the ’Queen of Spices’ because of its unique properties. Native to the subcontinent and Indonesia, it is also grown in the forests of Sri Lanka. We can also find it in most tropical places in Asia. The two main types of cardamom are the green and black cardamom. The former is found on a large scale in India and distributed to Malaysia. The latter, is native to parts Nepal, specifically the Eastern Himalayas and is cultivated in Eastern Nepal, Sikkim, parts of Bengal and Bhutan.
Relation to Ayurveda
The rich use of cardamom in Ayurveda has been practiced for centuries. Indians have widely used it, for its ability to balance all the three doshas in Ayurveda, Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Regularly consuming it in small amounts is recommended since a large dose can cause imbalances in the body. Ayurveda does not limit this miracle spice only to consumption. In fact, cardamom essential oils are widely used in aromatherapies.
Research into nutrition and traditional medicine has resulted in a lot of positive evidence, linking this fantastic spice to impressive health benefits. Cardamom is a crucial ingredient in Tibetan medicine. It has been used in remedial preparations, designed to treat digestive issues, support healthy weight loss and cure diseases caused by an improper diet and lifestyle. Healers have often combined with it other herbs and spices to protect you from reactions. This is because the consumption of once single spice can cause undesirable side effects in the human body.
It also has its place in traditional Chinese medicine, where it was passed down as a solution for gum infections, lung congestion, inflammation and was even included in antidotes for poisonous venoms.
7 life saving benefits of cardamom
1) Firstly, it supports your cardiovascular system. Black cardamom balances your cholesterol levels by disbanding bad cholesterol, which eventually leads to a lower heart rhythm. It relieves the nerves around the heart thereby controlling hypertension. Too much vegetable consumption, especially among the elderly can increase the risks of a blood clot. Adding small amounts of cardamom to your diet, along with lemon water, helps to filter out toxins from your body
2) Secondly, it promotes oral health. Since the dawn of the age of marketing have allowed more and more sugary foods to pile up on our table. From a simple ketchup bottle to an extravagant Chinese dinner, everything has hidden sugars, hence more and more people end up having cavities. In the US children start developing cavities as early as the age of 7. Consuming crushed cardamom morning tea or just including it in your cooking, can fight bad breath and aching gums. It has anti-bacterial properties which stop further bacterial growth.
3) Thirdly, it improves digestion and promotes gastrointestinal health. Regularly including black cardamom in your diet stimulates the production of essential juices. This overtime controls stomach acid and strengthens digestion. This drastically brings down the chances of getting stomach ulcers, constipation, digestive disorders and the like. It also increases appetite while significantly getting rid of bloating.
4) Fourthly, It strengthens the respiratory system. Since ages people in India have used homemade remedies against infections and illnesses. The age-old ritual of having spice-infused milk or raw herbs can miraculously work on colds, sore throat, lung congestion and even asthma. Taking a pinch of crushed cardamom seeds and raw turmeric with warm milk can trigger the good bacteria your body and strengthen your immune system.
5) Fifthly, it boosts your immunity and detoxifies. Being rich in vitamin C and the essential mineral potassium, it helps getting rid of the infections. This in return removes harmful toxins from the body, thereby boosting immunity.
6) Sixthly, it acts as an aphrodisiac. In more than one culture all over the world, people have labeled cardamom as a powerful aphrodisiac.
7) Seventhly, it improves your hair and skin and texture. Known for its anti-inflammatory properties, cardamom fights skin allergies, infections, and even acne. Regular consumption will keep the toxins away, thereby improving blood flow, which leads to better skin regeneration and reduces hair fall. A good amount of massage with cardamom oil will energize the scalp and improve hair quality.
Emotional benefits or cardamom
Massages with cardamom essential oils goes a long way in alleviating the nervous system. People diagnosed with depression and anxiety can savor its rich aroma which revitalizes the senses and reduces stress. It calms the nerves during times which are overwhelming and soothes hypertension.
Each day we face new challenges and end up too stressed out to do anything else. After a long day at work help yourself to some tea with cardamom. A busy student preparing for his exams can consume or apply this spice to improve overall emotional well-being and boost positive attitude by treating nerves exhaustion. A few drops of cardamom essential oil with help you loosen up and reenergize. It will also boost your stamina and help you focus better at any projects. Even your boss or employee can benefit rom the properties of cardamom, so they can be driven at work.
1) Always check before using any product with has cardamom, to see you are allergic to it. Use a small amount first and consult the doctor if negative symptoms occur.
2) Do not consume too much cardamom a day. It can drastically heat up the body which may result in uncomfortable bowel movement and irritation
3) Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should not consume this as it might harm the fetus.
4) Do not consume cardamom if you are a gallbladder stone patient. The seeds can trigger stone growth.
The goal of getting healthy and staying healthy can be achieved through proper knowledge about what we consume. So stay fit and stay updated!
Shop for Cardamom/Elaichi spice by Attar Ayurveda at https://bit.ly/2KJPb4A
All our products are 100% genuine and unadulterated